Board of Directors – Call for Nominations
Karma’s Board Welcomes Nominees to Join Us for 2020-21
Dear Karma Members,
The Board of Directors is preparing for our Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Monday, October 19, 7-9pm, and we’re hoping for our best turn out yet! We’ll be using Zoom for our first-ever virtual AGM.
I am chairing the Board Nominations process for the upcoming election at the AGM, and the Board is seeking nominees to fill 4 or 5 vacancies for our 2020-21 Board. We are actively encouraging members of marginalized identities to apply, as well as members with their Human Resources Professional designation (HRPA), and/or legal expertise in the areas of employment, human rights, and contract law.
Board members commit 6-8 hours per month, which includes preparing for and attending Board meetings, and sitting on one Karma Committee as a Board liaison. A greater time commitment is required for members who take on executive positions such as President, Vice-President, Treasurer, or Secretary, which carry additional duties and responsibilities.
To apply to be a nominee for Karma’s 2020-21 Board of Directors positions, please submit a brief biography highlighting your relevant governance skills, Board experience, and engagement with/commitment to Karma Co-op. The Nominations Committee will compile a nominees list to be circulated to co-op members in advance of the election. Interested candidates are encouraged to attend and observe the September 30th Board meeting.
All Board meetings are open to Karma members. However, due to current physical distancing requirements, advance notice is required to provide you with the online access information.
The Board will be engaged in the following strategic projects for 2020-21:
- Anti-oppression and inclusion strategy to ensure all members, visitors, shoppers, and staff feel safe, respected and welcomed to participate in all aspects of our co-op;
- Succession planning for Karma’s Board and GM to ensure continuity;
- Launching an integrated communications and marketing strategy that addresses the key findings of the recent member surveys and supports Karma in achieving its budgeted revenue growth targets;
- Improving Health & Safety training for staff and working members;
- Prioritizing capital improvements to our building and property;
- Establishing Karma’s donation program to support the long-term sustainability and capital needs of our co-op;
- Developing a participatory budget process for 2021-22;
- Revising Karma’s Product Policy and corresponding procedures;
- Planning Karma’s 50th Anniversary celebrations for 2022, and
- Continuing to review and revise member labour deployment to best support the ongoing operational needs of our food co-op.
All interested nominees, please email your biography to Andrea Dawber, Chair of the Nominations Committee for Karma Co-op’s 2020-21 Board, at email@example.com