Favourite traditional pumpkin pie or pudding recipe
- Steam one 2+ pound organic pie pumpkin with skin on till soft to touch with fork, or toss peeled, seeded pumpkin pieces in a bowl with quarter cup of melted butter and 2 tablespoons of white sugar, then roast on a baking sheet for 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees till tender and caramelized.
- Blend steamed or roasted pumpkin till smooth. I keep the skin on steamed pumpkin for deeper colour.
- Set aside to cool.
- If making pie, prepare the pastry while the pumpkin steams or roasts. I like all butter or half shortening-half butter pie crusts. Always pre-bake or blind bake the crust for custard pies to prevent a soggy bottom. Covering the raw pastry once fitted in the pie plate with an egg wash will moisture-seal the crust. I recommend setting aside some pastry scraps for patching up the cracks or gaps as the baked crust shrinks, and this will prevent the pumpkin filling from leaking when it is added to the shell.
- Blend the following filling ingredients till mixture is consistent:
1.5 cups of pureed pumpkin, cooled
1 cup whipping cream
Half cup of brown sugar
1-2 tablespoon of molasses (only with steamed pumpkin)
1.5 teaspoons of ground ginger
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
Quarter teaspoon of nutmeg
1 pinch of cloves
2 pinches of sea salt
1-2 tablespoons of brandy, optional
- Fill 9-inch pre-baked pie shell with pumpkin filling, and bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees or till pie is firm to touch but jiggles a little when moved.
- Alternately for pumpkin pudding, bake pie filling in greased glass dish till similarly firm but a bit jiggly when moved.
- Set pie or pudding on counter to cool to room temperature before serving. Serve with whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup.