Code of Conduct
Karma’s Code of Conduct embodies the spirit of co-operation, and helps our members, staff, new shoppers, visitors and suppliers feel comfortable and safe in our food co-operative. As members and staff, we wish to affirm our commitment to achieving the organization’s mission and objectives in a spirit of co-operation, civility and mutual respect.
We will seek to:
- Treat all with mutual respect, fairness and without prejudice.
- Refrain from condescending tones and attitudes.
- Communicate in a courteous and prompt manner.
- Request clarification of issues as they arise.
- Respect the confidentiality of issues brought to our attention.
- Participate in reconciliation rather than confrontation.
- Make decisions in a democratic manner through a fair and transparent process.
- Appreciate each other’s strengths and expertise, realizing we are all working towards a common goal.
- Use common sense and practice good judgment when relating to one another.
Karma commits to responding to all incidents of misconduct within 3 business days. Disrespectful or abusive behaviour from any member of our community may result in a refusal of service or revocation of membership (as per Article II, Section 8 of our Bylaws).
- To report an incident of misconduct, please fill in the Code of Conduct Incident Report form.
- For incidents regarding committee or other member labour experiences outside the store, please contact the Board President firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your co-operation in making Karma a safe place to work, volunteer, and shop for everyone in our community.
Updated on Dec. 9, 2020 by Karma’s Board of Directors
From the 2014 Members Handbook